About the name of the blog

Do we need forks? is a name that reflects my philosophy about technology - the first question we should ask is "Do I NEED this?" Will it make my life and meaningful occupations easier, or better in some way?
As a student (first time around), I remember reading a scene from a play set in the 1600s, where French nobles were wondering what to do with a fork. The social context meant that forks were unnecessary. In that time, people would
bring a knife, use a spoon for liquids, and hands for everything else. In a different social context where people are concerned about hygiene, a fork seems relevant. Or you could just wash your hands really well before each meal.
This philosophy about technology relates well to frameworks of occupational therapy. We look at the person - do they really need this technology? - the occupation - how meaningful is this occupation and do they need technology to make it easier to participate in? - and the environment, which includes social factors - is this technology going to fit with their environment?

Thursday, February 24, 2011

1. Information Technology & Ethics - Part One

This week is about considering ethical issues related to use of information technology

I like this definition of information technology:
Oxford University Press (2010). information technology. Retrieved from http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_gb0410520
I like the fact this definition says "study or use", because to use some technology, you often need to do a tutorial, or go online for help.  Therefore, to use technology, we often need to study it.
In my own words, this definition is says that information technology about using and studying technology to keep, locate, and communicate ideas.
This covers paper-based systems, as well radio, telegraph, fax, and in today's context, email and internet.


Information technology is prevalent in current society, and has been for thousands of years. You could argue that a system for storing, retrieving, and sending information has been in place since humans started to communicate. People would memorise information (storing it in long-term memory, often through songs and poems), retrieve it (using long-term memory again), and send it to others (using verbal communication or pictograms). With use of firstly stone tablets, then paper-based system, then telegraph, then radio, then the internet and computers, all we are really doing is easing the pressure on our primary information technology system, our brains.

This lecture from TED talks about use of information technology today to work with how our brains are designed (note that this is just about visual input so only applies to the majority of the population - those who can see).


Tom Wujec on 3 ways the brain creates meaning | Video on TED.com
The people all standing at the wall drawing made me think about the first cave drawings. After all the technology people have developed, we still want to stand in a group in front of a large space we can draw on and make our mark!

This essay is about whether information technology is socially neutral, or exploited by corporations to pursue capitalist interests and gain power. The authors point out that IT is a part of everyday life and shapes our everyday life, integrated into our homes and behaviours.  This carries with it an ethical responsibility by the developers:

IT conversations: This website bills itself as the longest running podcast on the planet, and provides podcasts about not just IT, but "everything tech and beyond": http://itc.conversationsnetwork.org/


I'm comfortable using computer, internet, cellphone, iPod, digital camera, and email, as well as paper-based systems.  I think this is because they are familiar to me - I grew up with these items in my life, and use them when I need them - mainly to communicate with others or work more efficiently.  One factor that may limit my use of IT is lack of dollars!  Also, if I fail to see the use of technology I don't use it - this may be because I'm ignorant of its potential, like Twitter, for example!


Our lecturer wants us to post our name, gender, occupation, and location.  My first thought was that I don't mind putting my location: New Zealand, but am unsure about posting the other information.  Maybe it's because it's a platform I'm not used to publishing personal information on.  My name and address is in the phone book, and that's available to the world, so how is this different?  Hmmmm.....


Ethical implications of capturing, sharing, and transferring information via IT devices or systems



One implication is that of property - who owns the photo?  I may take a photo of my friend, load it onto Facebook, tag him, then he may remove the tag or ask me to remove the photo.  Do I have to?  Probably, if I want to keep my friend...

No comments:

Post a Comment