About the name of the blog

Do we need forks? is a name that reflects my philosophy about technology - the first question we should ask is "Do I NEED this?" Will it make my life and meaningful occupations easier, or better in some way?
As a student (first time around), I remember reading a scene from a play set in the 1600s, where French nobles were wondering what to do with a fork. The social context meant that forks were unnecessary. In that time, people would
bring a knife, use a spoon for liquids, and hands for everything else. In a different social context where people are concerned about hygiene, a fork seems relevant. Or you could just wash your hands really well before each meal.
This philosophy about technology relates well to frameworks of occupational therapy. We look at the person - do they really need this technology? - the occupation - how meaningful is this occupation and do they need technology to make it easier to participate in? - and the environment, which includes social factors - is this technology going to fit with their environment?

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Affordances - moral properties

I initially thought that baking and gift giving would be perceived as "good"activities in a moral sense.  But, my flatmate has asked me not to make too much baking for him, as he has been talking about diets and slimming down.  Perhaps he views baking to have "bad" attributes.  As Johnston (2008) states, when discussing how eccentric baking can be perceived these days "Worst still, most baking begins with creaming together butter and sugar, probably the most feared items in our Western diet; we are trained to feel guilty just at the thought of eating them" (p. 7).

Michael Pollan also explores ideas of 'good' and 'bad' food in his book "The Omnivore's Dilemma".  This  book is centred around the dilemma that faces all omnivores today:  what to eat?  Although based in an American culture, I could identify with the demonisation of certain foods and people taking their food advice from governments, and experts, rather than deciding for themselves.

This reference helped me think about baking as being part of a tradition, of recipes handed from person to person, often within families.  Pollan also made me think about loss of tradition, how knowledge about something as simple as eating food has become divorced from our psyche and has become the domain of experts.  We are no longer allowed to enjoy food, but have to analyse each choice.  Baking doesn’t fit into this modern paradigm, echoing Johnston's sentiments.
 
When offering my biscuits to my classmates, there were a few who seemed conflicted about having a second, even though I was saying I needed to get rid of them.  This meant I had to be a bit of a bully and appeal to their inner child, who really wanted a biscuit, I could tell!

Pollan, M. (2006). The omnivore’s dilemma. London: Bloomsbury Publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment